Friday, March 27, 2009

Anywhere The Wind Blows...




Merry Meet and Greetings, Family, Friends, Lurkers and Followers!

I have to say, life just keeps getting curiouser and curiouser. As some of you know and I'm sure many of you don't, I'm studying the art of Reiki. Reiki is a Japanese healing technique involving the laying on of hands and is based on the concept that our life energy can be manipulated to facilitate healing. "Rei" means "God's Wisdom or the higher powers" and Ki is life force energy. So, Reiki is actually a spiritually guided healing technique.

The story of how I began on this journey is an interesting one, that seems to get more interesting as it goes on. A month or so ago, I was asked to assist in a healing for a dear friend. For as long as I can remember, I'd always done my own form of "hands on" healing for my pets, but without any formal training. On the evening I returned from the healing, I felt exhausted, yet exhilarated. It was intensely rewarding experience that I felt certain had made a difference. I shared it with Ray, who mentioned that the church sermon that morning (Ray is a music director) had also been about "hands on" healing. At the time, I found it nothing more than an interesting coincidence. A while later however, I turned on the Discovery Health channel and there was a gentleman in China who was demonstrating how he could generate such powerful energy with his hands as to cause enough heat to produce steam! Now, this "nothing more than a coincidence" was beginning to feel a lot more like one of those "psychic nudges" the Universe likes to give me when it feels I'm not paying enough attention to the obvious. In the next day's mail, I received a catalog from a our community school that was offering Reiki I certification.

:::Note to Universe:::

"I dink. I get. Da point" ~ Joe Pesci as Vincent LaGuardia Gambini, "My Cousin Vinny".

So, a week or two later, I am off to my new Reiki class. As I sat there perusing the materials, I realize that I recognize my Reiki Master's name and that of her Wellness Center. Last summer, Ray and I had come upon her studio while making a gardening run and felt compelled to go inside. Well, I have to say, it gave new meaning to the words "sacred space". The energy was peaceful, yet power and she was truly lovely. She had an awesome "vibe", that left such a lasting impression on us both, that Ray immediately knew who I was referring to when I excitedly reported that she was my Reiki instructor!

My initial impression of Reiki was that it was a perfect blend of two of the most significant aspects of my life, magick and medicine. I found that my magickal background gave me a learning edge when it came to this type of healing art.

During the Reiki training, one goes through a series of "attunements" that are similar to an initiation and that help the Reiki practitioner connect to the Universal Life Force Energy. Just before my first attunement, I noticed that four chairs had been arranged to face each in a different direction. When I asked about it, my Reiki Master explained that these were the directions of the Quarters, North, South, East and West and corresponded with the Elements, Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Spirit. Ok, I thought, this definitely sounds familiar! She explained that each student represented a Quarter and an Element and that she represented "Spirit". Then, she reached into the collar of her blouse and pulled out her pentacle to show me an example! Ahhhhh...just as I'd suspected!

During one of our classes we discussed how we might enhance the Reiki experience for both ourselves and our patients. We talked about the use of music, candles and incense and the importance of spiritual cleansing of our sacred space. Some of my classmates asked about the best incense to use during practice and our Reiki Master told us that there was only one incense she ever used and that it was hand made by a Wiccan woman that she'd known for years. She mentioned that she would bring some to class for us to sample, which I'd forgotten about entirely until last week's class. When I saw the brand name, Everything Akasha, on the incense, I realized that this was yet another peculiar...coincidence. The reason why it was so familiar was not because it is also my incense of choice, but because the Wiccan woman who hand makes it is, Mayakalia, one of my first Wiccan teachers! She and my dearest friend, Devyn, own Everything Akasha and taught my first Wicca 101 class 15 years ago and the rest, as they say, is history!

After my first attunement I, along with two other students, received an e-mail from our Reiki Master telling us that she thought and felt we would be successful Reiki Masters and asked if we'd be interested in going on to Master training. The depth of my connection to Reiki is the closest I've come to anything since the Craft. I can't imagine not allowing my heart to find where this journey will lead me, so yes, I told her, I was interested. Her response, "Many are called, few are chosen".

I would like to say I'm honored, because I am....but right now, all I can think of is..how cool is that?!!

Last week, I received my Reiki I certification!


In Darkness, Light!


Tracy


P.S. And the friend we did the healing for? Thankfully, she's absolutely fine!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Tracy that is great! It certainly seems that it was meant to be. The Universe told you!

I am really interested in a healing. Please let me know about this and if it can be arranged, as it is very important to me.

Anonymous said...

Ahem - there are no things as coincidences - remember???!!! LOL!!!

Unknown said...

"Surprise, surprise, surprise, sargeant.." Gomer Pyle.

you have my blessings as well Tracy. I am a master in Western Reiki as well, though I use its traditions as format only in instruction. I like using other symbols such as animystic, runic, and common cultural ones. If you like....email us and I'll send you a comparative list.

She Who Works Her Will said...

I am really interested in a healing. Please let me know about this and if it can be arranged, as it is very important to me.

March 27, 2009 1:08 PM

Hi Carol,

I need to do 30 Reiki treatments on myself before I can practice on anyone else. Given me a week or two and I would be glad to do a healing for you! You'll be my first patient!!!

She Who Works Her Will said...

Niki said...
Ahem - there are no things as coincidences - remember???!!! LOL!!!

March 27, 2009 1:44 PM


You would think I would get that by now, wouldn't ya?

She Who Works Her Will said...

spottedwolf said...
"Surprise, surprise, surprise, sargeant.." Gomer Pyle.

you have my blessings as well Tracy. I am a master in Western Reiki as well, though I use its traditions as format only in instruction. I like using other symbols such as animystic, runic, and common cultural ones. If you like....email us and I'll send you a comparative list.

Thank you so much, Dennis. I would definitely enjoy the list! Kindly email me at Hearts333@aol.com! Like I said, you're awesome!

Carol said...

thanks T I would appreciate that just let me know. I am looking foward to it.

Carol

♥Anna♥ said...

Hi Tracy!
Curioser and curiouser!!!
Hehheee...Alice In Wonderland said that!!

She Who Works Her Will said...

Hi Anna!

I love Alice!!!