Sunday, July 26, 2009

No New Hope for the Confused!

Merry Meet again, Family and Friends!

So this Saturday, we took a drive to New Hope, Pennsylvania. New Hope is a quaint little place with an awesome vibe, about an hour and a half from our home in New Jersey. There are funky little shops, great places to eat and while at times it can be a little touristy, we always find something new and interesting when we visit. Where else can you find an entire shop devoted to mortuary memorabilia?! That said, I should have predicted the strangeness of the day when I stepped from the car only to encounter a man with a monkey on his shoulder wearing a diaper. Just to clarify, the monkey was the one in the diaper.

One of my favorite places is a witchful little shop, appropriately dubbed, "The Witch Shop". They carry incense, herbs, candles, books, etc. And while it's probably not the kind of place that would appeal to the serious occultist, it always feels like a visit with old friends. I did pick up a great book called "Hekate Liminal Rites: A Study of the rituals, magic and symbols of the torch-bearing Triple Goddess of the Crossroads". Thus far, I'm finding it fascinating...but I digress.

While I was paying for my book, a handsome, well dressed gentleman came in with a woman whom I presumed was his partner. He looked around a few minutes before asking the salesperson, "Excuse me, do you have a book called, "The Satanic Bible?" I found it very advantageous that I wasn't drinking anything at the time or I probably would have snorted it out my nose! The salesperson, a young girl looking a tad uncomfortable, replied "I'm sorry, no we don't carry it". Then he asked, "have you heard of it?" He sort of glanced over in my direction as he asked. "Try Barnes and Noble or Amazon.com, I suggested. The author is Anton LeVay". "That's right!, he exclaimed, obviously surprised that I might have this information. "Thank you!" he said, as he left the store.

I guess I wasn't doing very well at hiding my amusement, because the salesgirl was now eyeing me curiously, "I'm sorry. It's not that I have anything against Satanists, I explained. "I just found his blurting it out like that, you know, really friggin' funny". "I actually agree with 8 of the the 11 Satanic Principles of the Earth", I added. Oooops! Outside voice! I could see by her change of expression that I had just made her even more....uneasy!

A few minutes later, a touristy looking couple walked in. They were standing beside me looking at the athames (sharp, pointy ceremonial knives) in the display case, when I heard the husband say, "that's what they use for their blood sacrifices". I glanced up to examine his expression for signs of sarcasm, but alas, no he was dead serious. And then, "don't they know that animals would work just as well as humans". Oh for the love of nerve! I'm sure they were wondering why I was laughing, but I honestly couldn't contain myself! And while I'm usually a huge advocate for dispelling the myths and misconceptions about Wicca and Witchcraft, I got the distinct impression that anything I said would have been like preaching to the choir, if you get my drift!

"How sad is it that this is what they truly believe", I said to the salesgirl as we watched the couple leave. "Yeah", she replied wistfully. "I'm so blogging this", I told her as I made my departure from the store. She laughed, but appeared...relieved.

In Darkness, Light!


Tracy

11 comments:

carol said...

Sounds like some day at New Hope. It is a favorite place of mine. Love to go there in the fall.

I have purchased a few things from that Witchy Place but the one a little down further had the Hecate Incense I saved for you. By the way, still have it for you!

Talking about Anton LaVay I remember down the village a long time ago my girlfriend and I stopped in his shop just to check it out. The girl at the counter was very beautiful and asked us what we were looking for. I remember I was "in love" at the time and she made up a little mojo bag for me and my girlfriend. It smelt good and there were stones, etc. in there. I didn't want to buy anything from her as we were just checking it out and wanted to see what it was like. There was a picture of Satan on the altar. Now we are afraid to say no so we paid for it and left fast only to throw away the mojo bags at the corner!

Strange feelings and strange vibs kept thinking something bad was going to happen to me for going in there.

C

greekwitch said...

Oh dear! The poor saleswoman must think of a carrer change!
Blessings!
Georgina

She Who Works Her Will said...

I've met a couple of people who were Satanists, both were intelligent and charming.

I've actually gone into some Wiccan places that I got a decidedly "bad vibe" from. I was in a store with a friend who is psychic and she felt as if she had to leave!

That's what I like about the Botanica. If I find something on display that I want to buy, they won't let me purchase the display item, but would rather sell me something in it's original box because it hasn't had the opportunity to absorb anyone's energy.

With the exceptions 4,6 and 11, I really don't have any real issues with the 11 Satanic Rules of the Earth!

http://www.churchofsatan.com/Pages/Eleven.html

She Who Works Her Will said...

greekwitch said...
Oh dear! The poor saleswoman must think of a carrer change!
Blessings!
Georgina

Almost Lammas Blessings to you, Georgina!

And I was thinking the very same thing!

Unknown said...

Halloooo Trayce....

I've been in ...and.....tossed out "on my ear" from such places a number of times. The 'real' witches are warm, friendly, conversational and curious to learn any tidbits they don't know. The dark...eeeevill...scary ones who hold all that 'awesome poooo-wer' are a bunch of nit-wits with big paranoia/anger control trips going.. and are about as scary as a herd of yappy puppies. A lot of psychics I've known tend to over-amplify their experiences as well...which is just another attitude of fear-basing....

Unknown said...

Oh and....what IS amazing is how ludicrously uninformed we still are
as a species.

She Who Works Her Will said...

spottedwolf said...
Oh and....what IS amazing is how ludicrously uninformed we still are
as a species.

July 27, 2009 8:26 PM

I couldn't agree with you more!

She Who Works Her Will said...

The dark...eeeevill...scary ones who hold all that 'awesome poooo-wer' are a bunch of nit-wits with big paranoia/anger control trips going.. and are about as scary as a herd of yappy puppies

And here I thought those Witches were indigenous to New Jersey ;)

Anonymous said...

Interesting...I agree with all eleven...they make absolutely perfect sense to me! I come from a long line of Stregas...not sure if that's what they called themselves. Wicca never sat well with me but Santeria and Voodoo do and, of course, Stregheria, and I guess the 11 Satanic Rules of Earth, too! But then I was always one to incorporate what felt right about all religions I learned about, even Catholicism. Religions are basically the same when you get down to the nitty gritty, at least I think so, now some of the people who practice them...well, that's another topic completely...

She Who Works Her Will said...

Religions are basically the same when you get down to the nitty gritty, at least I think so, now some of the people who practice them...well, that's another topic completely...

I agree. While I am an in initiate of British Tradition Gardnerian Wicca, I was felt myself being drawn to the root practices several years ago and it's definitely a path I'm working on exploring more deeply.

I agree, all religions are basically the same and I'm certain that the similiarities of such would make those people who believe that there is only one true path recoil in horror!

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://apibazifi.wtcsites.com/nemymif.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to become rich