Saturday, July 25, 2009

Messages Great and Small

Merry Meet and Happy Weekend Friends and Followers!

If you haven't heard this already, let me go on record as saying, I don't like bugs! I know, I know....I'm a Pagan, I should love all living things! Bullshit, I don't like bugs!

Still, to live in this World, I've had to learn to cohabit in harmony with even the lowliest of creatures, even humans! And, I must admit, there are some insects, like butterflies, that I absolutely adore.

Yesterday, I saw something that I'd never witnessed before. I was attempting to take some photos of our new kitten, Ember, but she was being less than cooperative! I looked away from the camera in frustration and glanced through our sliders to the deck. There I saw two butterflies dancing the "dance of joy" together on our back lawn! Now, I've seen little white butterflies doing this often, but these were big, beautiful Monarchs! I tried to get a photo, but trying to get a picture of butterflies dancing is nearly impossible! Seriously! I decided that there are some things that a camera can't possibly do justice and decided instead just to embrace the moment! It was..breathtaking!

Then, this morning, as I began typing this entry, I noticed something crawling atop my the screen to my laptop. :::Cringe::: "Ant", I thought and quickly put my hand over my freshly brewed coffee. I grabbed a napkin off the table with the intention of showing his little ant ass the door, when at closer inspection, I realized this was no ant, but a wee cricket! The tiniest, cutest little cricket I've ever seen! I watched him crawl over the screen, thinking how I might show his little cricket ass the door without squishing him, when suddenly :::ping::: he was gone! "Oh, gross, I thought, now I have a tiny wee cricket "pinging" on my dining room table! If you've ever had a cricket in your house, even smallest can demonstrate their vocal ablilities at ear piercing levels at all hours of the day or night! I perused the table to see where he might have gone, but his color blended in with the table and given his stature, I knew the chances of finding him were pretty slim!

I sat back down to finish my freshly brewed coffee and this entry, when it occurred to me that I should research these "close encounters". I Googled, "insect totems" and came up with some stuff that was amazingly relevant to my current state of being!

Butterfly: Major transformations and transmutations taking place, outcome is different than expected. Symbol of joy, color, gentleness, lightness and change of life. Awakens us to dance on the winds of life, teaches us that growth doesn't have to be painful, allows us to discover the important issues in life for conscious transformation. Don't sweat the small stuff, be joyful and thankful for your blessings.

Cricket: Cricket will attune to new vibrations, heightening intuition, sensitivity and awareness. Crickets can teach effective communication techniques and subconscious communication cues to obtain what is wanted or needed. Crickets are about transformation and resurrection from stages as in the molting process. Expect changes and new developments that will bring growth through reflection and patience as the sensitivity to mental, emotional and physical challenges are coming your way. Cricket will help in finding the right balance of action and using inituition and subtle awareness.

Just as I finished reading, I noticed a subtle movement out of the corner of my eye. It was my wee cricket! Now, for the sake of my sanity and practicality, I absolutely had to boot his wee cricket ass outside. I found a scrap of paper and tried him coaxing him onto it. :::ping::: He respectfully...declined! Amazingly, I spotted him again crawling along the top of my chair and held out my finger, hoping, but not expecting, that he might climb aboard and so he did! I slowly walked to the sliders to put him out, expecting any moment that he would "ping" into oblivion, but instead, he sat perfectly still until I found the nearest planter to deposit his wee self into.

"Thanks for the advice and happy chirping", I said aloud, only to look up to see my crucifix wielding neighbor staring across the fence. "You might want to visit Mary", I whispered.

In Darkness, Light!


Tracy

"Insect Totems" courtesy of:
http://www.starstuffs.com/animal_totems/dictionary_of_insects.htm

3 comments:

White Wolf said...

When I have close encounters with an animal/insect, I first try to expand my awareness to find out what the message for me is. Later I check it out with various sources. Sometimes it fits and sometimes it is not similar to anything that was written about it.

Crickets are also very good tempearture indicators.
Frequent chirping is a sure sign that the heat is rising.
To figure out the exact temperature in Fahrenheit, count the number of chirps in 14 seconds and add 40. To get Celsius, count the number of chirps in 25 seconds, divide by 3, and add 4.
I have found it difficult to count in a normal way as in one second they can come up with 3 to 4 chirps. So I try to count the number of chirps in one second only. Then I multiply it by 25 (I use Celsius) and come up with 100, divided by 3 => 33.3 + 4 = 37 which was about the temperature on the day I counted.

Besides when I go outside for a walk I love to hear the concert they make.

Blessed Be the Crickets.

Arie

She Who Works Her Will said...

Besides when I go outside for a walk I love to hear the concert they make.

Blessed Be the Crickets.

I enjoy listening to the the sound of the crickets song as well. Just as long as it isn't in my bedroom at 3 a.m!

Unknown said...

my gawd Arie....I just read the thermometer or watch the weather channel.....hahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!