Sunday, February 1, 2009

Imbolc Blessings!


Greetings once again, Family, Friends, Followers and Lurkers!

So, this morning, as I have most recent mornings, I poured myself a cup of the coffee, gazed out the kitchen window and uttered the phrase, "I hate fucking Winter". Ooops! Was that my outside voice? Why yes, yes it was!

I know that as a Pagan, I should embrace all the seasons and for the most part, I do. The changing leaves, watching the snow falling on a beautiful moon lit winter's night...are all magical. But there comes a point in every season, when the enchantment begins to wear off.

This morning was to be no different. As I listened to 1010 WINS predicting the next storm system which will be followed shortly thereafter by the next cold air mass, I turned off the radio in disgust! I hate the fucking Winter! (Oops! Sorry, outside voice again!)

Then, as I stood there, silently sipping my coffee, I noticed something. I actually held my breath and listened. Could it be true???

I had to be sure, so I decided to brave the cold and go out onto the deck. It was then I heard...a choir! NO, not of angels, you smart asses! The silence of the cold winter's morning had been broken by the sound of...birdies! Dozens of birdies singing their little hearts out! I stood there, coffee getting cold, freezing my ass off filled with hope!

I don't know why I should be so surprised however...by the singing of the birds. Today is February 1 st and for us, the Pagan Sabbat known as Imbolc. It is the first festival of Spring, and heralds the dwindling of winter, the coming of warmth and new life and celebrates the Celtic fire goddess Brighid. It is the time when the first stirrings of life begin beneath the frozen soil and the Earth begins to awaken after her long Winter's slumber.

But, rather than give you a Wicca 101 lecture on Imbolc, I suggest you get up, get dressed, go outside, freeze your asses off and listen.

The birdies have a message!

Blessed Imbolc and Happy Spring!


In Darkness, Light!



Tracy






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Imbolc Blessings to you too!

yes, it is February 1st and there is another storm predicted and I too do hate fucking winter but it is all downhill from here (i hope)

Thinking of your deck and pond and birds and plants and the warmth of the sun and lots of laughter.

It will be here soon.

She Who Works Her Will said...

Another storm alright! There predicting a foot of snow this time!

But take heart! I see buds! No, I'm not talking about marijuana! On the trees!

It will be here soon! Not soon enough for me! Dammit!

Maggi said...

a foot? Last thing I read said an inch! Men!

She Who Works Her Will said...

Yeah, first it was a foot, now it's 1-3 inches. Gee, why am I not surprised }:)

Anonymous said...

Blessed Imbolc! Lighting a candle for Brigid for you. Lilli

(I am biting my tongue at the comments regarding men calling an inch a foot. Snow or body parts, that's a man all right)

She Who Works Her Will said...

lilli said...
Blessed Imbolc! Lighting a candle for Brigid for you. Lilli

Thank you, Lilli! :)