Sunday, January 25, 2009

One Small Purpose...




Warm Wishes and Merry Meet Family, Friends, Followers and Lurkers!


So, yesterday I wrote the first poetry I had in a very long time. Words and images had been swirling around in my psyche for days, like a song that you can't get out of your mind. When I'd finished writing and was about to sign and date the poem, I noticed that it was January 24th. My Dad's birthday. My Dad passed away several years ago. I was struck with sadness. Until that moment...I had forgotten. I decided I would dedicate the poem as my gift to him.


I had to admit, I was no longer the cheerful little self I had been when I woke up that morning. Memories of my Dad began pouring in and I recalled one of our last conversations. "I'm going to miss you", he told me as he lay dying. That was it...I was pretty much done for the day!


Still, I had things to do. I had no time to indulge my melancholia, so I went upstairs to jump into the shower. When I got out, I looked out from our frosted bathroom window at the snow that still blankets our backyard. "Oh.My.God." I complained to no one in particular, "It's so friggin' cold!" Looking down at our Koi pond, almost completely covered by ice, I shivered just imagining how cold the water must be.


As I gazed wistfully out the window, thinking thoughts of Spring, I noticed something swimming frantically around in the icy water. I suspected it was a fish in distress, but as I looked closer, I realized that it wasn't a fish at all. Whatever it was, it was paddling around the pond like a little dog! I screamed, "RAY!!!!" "There's a.....MOUSE in the pond!" So now, butt nekkid and barely dry, with hair that was dripping wet, I toss on my bathrobe, trying desperately to zip it up, with my sneakers hanging half off my feet as I ran down the stairs. I rushed by Ray, who looked out the window and proclaimed, "awwww", as I slid out onto the three inches of ice that is now our deck. "How the hell am I going to get down the steps?", I wondered. Ginger already had to be rescued three times that morning because they were too slippery for her to climb. My guess was that I would be "ass tobogganing", but this obviously was not my first preference. Still, there was no time to figure it out. I knew if the mouse were to slip beneath the frozen portion of the pond, there would be no way to save him. Clinging to the railing, I actually made it down the steps, ass intact. As luck would have it, the pond net was leaning against the railing so I grabbed it and used it to steady myself as I made my way across the frozen tundra to the pond. I know, I know! The Drama! There, swimming for his dear little life, was a tiny mole! He was trying desperately to find his way out, but his little mole feet kept sliding off the ice. Given that moles are blind, he was at a distinct disadvantage. I quickly scooped him out and found a place near the deck without snow to lay him down. He was alive, but just lying there motionless. It didn't look hopeful.


It was then I realized how friggin' cold it actually was. The wind whipped through my bathrobe and my hair, once wet, had completely frozen! Then I panicked! HYPOTHERMIA!!!! I dropped the net and as quickly as I could, slid my way back up the steps and ran into the house. Ray, still standing at the window asked "Got em, huh?" "Yeah, I got em", I replied, shivering and completely out of breath. "I need something to wrap him in! I need to bring him inside or he'll die!." Ray spun around, looking incredulous and yelled, "What??!!!" You can't bring him in!!!! He's a rodent! You're going to get bitten! Do you want to get rabies?!" All valid points, with the exception of the rabies part. Your chance of getting rabies from a mouse or mole are extremely low, given that anything with rabies that's big enough to bite a mouse or mole will usually kill it. But, enough "Rodent Trivia", I was in rescue mode. I grabbed a dish towel and ran back outside to get the victim. I made it, once again, down the icy steps, only to find that he was gone! And I was...elated!!!


When I came back in, Ray looked at me, relieved to see I was "mole-less", but certain I'd lost my mind. He then proceeded to give me his best, "You Can't Risk Your Life to Save a Mole" speech. But, I wasn't listening. At that moment, I realized that the sadness I had in my heart had lifted.


Perhaps, I am...a little mad, but I will say this in defense of my insanity. So often, we hear of fulfilling one's "purpose in life". I suspect that some hope that this purpose will result in all things wonderful and extraordinary. I believe our lives hold many purposes of varying degrees of importance and that often we fulfill them without ever trying.


Yesterday, my purpose was to save a mole's life. His life holds no less purpose than mine and for me, there was no purpose more grand.


In Darkness, Light!



Tracy

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the nicest thing that I have heard in a long long time.
Love YOu Tracy - your the BEST!!

She Who Works Her Will said...

You know me Carol. I would have gladly broken my ass to save him!

Love you too!

T

George said...

All living things are deserving of a life.

Tracy, I hold my coffee cup up high, in your honor to a valiant effort.

Right on!

She Who Works Her Will said...

Thank you George!

And I am holding my coffee up to yours in agreement!

Rick said...

Maybe someday he will return the favor and save your life. Won't your husband feel dumb then.

She Who Works Her Will said...

Rick said...
Maybe someday he will return the favor and save your life. Won't your husband feel dumb then.

How funny would that be!

But you know, he has reason to be concerned.

I once rescued a mouse from being exterminated at our office. The day I brought her home, we had a huge snow storm. I put her in an old hamster cage we had to wait out the storm. Well, the storm last the entire weekend. I happened to look in her cage on Sunday morning, and she was acting strange. I thought she was sick. Nope, she was in labor and she gave birth to 5 baby mice! Well, now I couldn't put her outside, the babies were too little. I figured I'd wait until I thought they were old enough to be released. Their mother had other plans. She chewed a hole in the cage and moved them...all over my house.

We ended up having to buy "Hav-a-Heart" no-kill traps and I was able to catch all of them!

When my husband took them to the woods to release them, I cried!

So, ya see, he's pretty sure I'm crazy!

♥Anna♥ said...

You did a very good thing Tracy!
The mole may have escaped in the end, but many people wouldn't have gone down to even attempt to rescue it, but you did a very good thing, and I'm sure mother nature will soon bless you with a reward!

She Who Works Her Will said...

♥Anna♥ said...
You did a very good thing Tracy!
The mole may have escaped in the end, but many people wouldn't have gone down to even attempt to rescue it, but you did a very good thing, and I'm sure mother nature will soon bless you with a reward!

February 5, 2009 11:25 AM

Thank you, Anna! I really love animals. I wouldn't have dreamed of NOT saving him!