Saturday, November 9, 2013

Mediums, Necromancers, Sorcerers! Oh My!

Merry Meet and Blessings of the New Year, my Beloveds!

Due to twists and turns of fate in this crazy journey we call life, I have been remiss in my writing.  I have just now found the time to sit down and actually put my thoughts into words that I can share.

What I'd like to talk about is religious intolerance.  As history teaches us, more blood is spilled as a result of the "my God is better than yours" mentality.  You would have thought we would have evolved to a reasonable degree of acceptance by now, but alas...nooooooo!

Recently, I had the pleasure of being "unfriended" by someone on Facebook for this very reason.  Initially, I had no problem with reading this individual's daily Bible verses, until they took a decidedly darker turn.  It began with a post suggesting that those of us who practice Reiki were doing "Satan's work".  I was initially amused, but as these types of posts became increasingly more frequent, I found them more distasteful.

I was immediately struck by the irony unfolding before my very eyes   You see, this woman claims to be a Psychic/Medium.  If you are familiar with the Bible, you know that there are various passages suggesting that, mediumship, divination, communicating with the spirit world and sorcery is an abomination.

Levitcus 19:31  “Do not turn to mediums or necromancers; do not seek them out, and so make yourselves unclean by them: I am the LORD your God."

OH LORD! Ok, so now I found myself in a conundrum.  I could either ignore the "Fire and Brimstone" posts on my wall, unfriend her or confront it head on.  Oh yeah...I went there!

I wrote her and asked how she reconciled her "gifts" with what the Bible states about consulting mediums.  Her response was the same as I've heard from a few mediums, "most mediums get their messages from Satan.  Mine comes from God!"  Ok, let me say that I do believe the ability to channel spirit is divinely inspired. Theresa Caputo, the "Long Island Medium" made a similar statement about her gifts, but acknowledged that this is in direct conflict with what the Bible states about mediums.   For the record, I LOVE Theresa.

Well, I thought that confronting her own hypocrisy might prompt her to rethink her future posts, but it didn't stop there.   The list of Satan inspired work was expanded to include, Wicca, Witches, spell-casting, divinations, etc.

Now, my list of friends include many Wiccans, Witches, Reiki Practitioners, at least a couple of Satanists, as well as many who know and respect my beliefs and practices.  She was now not just disrespecting me, but those whom I hold close to my heart.    

I could have simply unfriended her...problem solved.  However, I believe most of the greatest religious conflicts are based in fear and misconception, so instead I thought a "teaching moment" might be in order. I explained the basic tenet of Wicca is "An It Harm None, Do What Ye Will". I explained that as Wiccans, we don't recognize the existence of Satan and to give evil a name, gives it power.   I shared that many times spell-work includes healing for ourselves and our community.  I told her that I am often asked, by Christians, to do work on their behalf and when I do, I call upon Jesus Christ to assist me.  

There are those who choose to remain woefully ignorant and once again, she pulled the "God" card.  She said, she couldn't be held responsible for her posts because the messages were not from her, but were from God.  Before I could respond, she unfriended me and deleted my comments.

Recently, I received a copy of her newsletter which included her website with a list of her paid services which include, private readings, phone readings, house clearings, as well as the events at which she will be appearing.  I opted to unsubscribe for the following reason:


Reason: A "gift from God" should not include the perversion of his messages. I do not wish to receive emails from one who spreads intolerance of the beliefs of the others. Messages of 

intolerance are not divinely given".   


At last check, God didn't accept Paypal, Mastercard, Visa and Amex!

In Darkness, Light!


Tracy


2 comments:

Kat said...

Were BOTH of us bringing negativity to light this past week or so? Well stated and well addressed, my friend! (Two posts ago at my little Grimalkin's Lair, I had a similar commentary)

She Who Works Her Will said...


Hi Kat,

I have no problems with anyone's faith, unless they use it as a weapon to create greater discord amongst people than already exists.

To spread intolerance in the name of anyone's God is deplorable.