Saturday, March 19, 2011

Change. Spelled, "M-a-g-i-c-k"

Merry Meet and Blessed Equinox Family and Friends!

So, the following question was posed on Facebook, "Do you use the words, "magick" or "magic" and why?" It's a fine question!

Aleister Crowley added the "k" to the traditional spelling of the word "magic" to differentiate it from stage magic, i.e. pulling rabbits out of asses, (ooops, outside voice) I meant, hats...card tricks, sawing women in half...you get the point.

Aleister defined "Magick" as it pertains to the occult arts as, "the Science and Art of causing change to occur in conformity with Will" and so do I.

I have to say that some of the answers to the Facebook query were not at all what I'd expected.

Many of posters said that they used the traditional spelling of the word, when referring to the practice of Witchcraft, in order to avoid, "drawing attention to myself". Really? Wait...What?! To say the least, I was a tad confused.

I believe part of the problem I have in wrapping my mind around this line of reasoning comes from my own conditioning. I kind of eased my way out of the "broom closet" almost as an afterthought. Most people had known me for years before learning that I did things...well, a little differently. I have been very fortunate in that I have had the support of family, friends, co-workers and employers who are open-minded and non judgemental.

That being said, I'm still not getting the whole, "to avoid drawing attention to myself" rational.

Seriously, how often do we use the word, "magic" in our mundane lives when we're referring its traditional meaning? I would think that if someone mentions the word, spelling notwithstanding, it's going to draw a little attention. It's just that kind of word.

"I'm going to do a little magic/Magick".

There are only a couple of possibilities, really. You are either a professional entertainer or a Witch. If you're a professional entertainer, well..you'd more than likely welcome the attention. As a Witch...well, as a Rule of Thumb, it's not always a good idea to use the word where it might provoke..you know, those funny looks we get when it's realized that we're not exactly referring to pulling rabbits out of aaa...hats.

Despite how far many of us have come in terms of acceptance of our beliefs, the majority of us are still, "in the broom closet". How we spell the word that defines our practice isn't going to change how the person behind the door is perceived.

"the Science and Art of causing change to occur in conformity with Will" ~ Aleister Crowley

Shouldn't we really be asking...

"Will change occur with conformity?"

In Darkness, Light!



Tracy

7 comments:

gina segreto said...

While we were on lets say "our break" LOL, not like it was fun or funny, I researched alot about the culture, and read your posts, it's simply a belief. It is in no way demonic, hurtful, scary or weird. What I learned was the Wiccan population, prays like others do, but to earthly properties, the sun, moon and stars, the changes of our seasons, if they do spells or offerings, so does other beliefs? Why is it ok and accepted to pray to other gods, Buddah, Allah, Moses etc...It seems similar to the greeks and Romans, believing in Ajax, Hercules, Neptune, Apollo etc...Here's the problem, people need to educate themselves before judgement is past. Wicca and the people who practice this, are not mean, they do not "cast spells" of hate. Frankly, I think that it is one of the more loving and benign practices around, and they shouldn't have to "hide in the broom closet"
I've had the opportunity to be surrounded by, Jews, Catholics, Protestants, Lutherans.....I'm not so impressed, to say the least. They are rigid in their beliefs, will cast your ass out if you dont pay your dues, if you get divorced, marry out of their religion. And the best part is they pray for money, success, etc. It's 2011, and the way it looks whomever you wish to worship.....is planning to flick us off this earth like a flea in 2012. Wouldn't it be ironic if the Wiccans who worship mother earth be the chosen ones? just saying" tolerance and understanding look it up in the dictionary!

Carol said...

Blessed Equinox to you Tracy. Bet you can't wait to start your garden again!!

Hope you have a magickal spring!

She Who Works Her Will said...

You read my mind, Carol!

I was thinking of checking to see if the pansies are in!

T

She Who Works Her Will said...

Here's what I think. I've had good and bad experiences with people of many different religions. When it comes right down to it, it's not an entire religion to blame, but some of it's followers.

Mahatma Gandhi was quoted as saying, "I like your Christ, not your Christians".

I think that the same applies to anyone who is convinced that theirs is the one true way and that those who believe differently are flawed.

The one true way lies in allowing others to finding their own path to the Divine.

Not all who wanders is lost.

She Who Works Her Will said...

I've had just as many unpleasant experiences with Wiccans.

Thankfully, the majority are true to their beliefs.

Deborah said...

Crowley's explanation never made sense. If you needed to draw a distinction between stagecraft and spellcraft, surely you were already "in the know" about whether or not there was such a thing as real spellcraft? In other words, anyone reading Crowley already knew the two were different, and were unlikely to be confused about which was Crowley's topic. And those who were likely to be confused wouldn't know Crowley's explanation for the k at the end, and so wouldn't be less confused.

Like much of what Crowley said, it was a trick. It's also likely that Crowley's real reason had to do with the numerology of the word.

As a writer I am not fond of fake spellings or Unnecessary Capitalization.

Spelling magic with a k defintely does draw attention to oneself, not in the sense of being in or out of the broom closet, but in the sense of "look at me and my adorable spelling tricks." No thanks.

She Who Works Her Will said...

Personally, if I were addressing a room full of Witches, I wouldn't give the spelling of the word or the fact that I might be drawing attention to myself a second thought.

However, if I were using the word in a situation where I was fairly certain not everyone was, "in the know", I probably wouldn't use it at all. I just think it's easier than having to explain the word's alternative meaning.