Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Words of a...

:::GASP::::

WITCH!!!

:::mini rant warning:::

:::sarcasm font on:::

If you have concerns or questions about Wicca or Witchcraft, please, for the love of nerve, don't buy into the whole "Hollywood" crap! Feel free to ask, most of us would be more than happy to answer. And contrary to what some might like to you to believe, I'm not going to paint some rosy ass picture designed to make those who have misconceptions feel more comfortable or accepting of my choices. In the end, you'll believe what you want to believe.

Just for the record however, no, we don't perform human or animal sacrifices. We neither worship Satan, nor believe in it's existence. Satan is a Christian concept. We believe that giving evil a name lends it power. There is enough evil in the World without the designation of it's own personal deity.

What about Black Magick? Magick is neither Black nor White. Have you ever been livid pissed to the point that you wished someone got exactly what they deserve? Well than you have practiced negative magick!! Know the old saying, "be careful what you wish for?" Words have power and so does the intent behind them. So, yes...do be mindful of what you wish for and where and to whom it's directed.

We hold the Earth and all her inhabitants as sacred. We celebrate the Seasons and the cycles of life. That pentacle we wear? Represents the elements of Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Spirit.

Yes, we believe in God, most likely more than one. I didn't have to "find Christ". I know exactly where he is...on my altar along with the other Deities that I honor!

We don't proselytize. We're not a cult of crazies intent on kidnapping or brainwashing your children. That's your job!!

If you adhere to any of the misconceptions stated above, guess what...you could never consider yourself a Wiccan and we wouldn't either!

So, perhaps you're wondering why I'm ranting or why I feel the need to justify my beliefs.

Well, I'll tell ya. Every once in a while, someone will read my Facebook page or something else I've written and say, "ya know, I think Tracy is a Witch?" Ya think?

Facebook, MySpace, Twitter are all wonderful venues for people who've yet to meet to become acquainted. My friends and coworkers, my husband, my husband's friends and colleagues, my children and their friends, have all "friended" me on Facebook and in doing so, have the ability to glimpse into the parts of my life that I most happily share.

Obviously, people are going to be curious about what the term "Witch" actually means, what I do or what I believe. Curiosity is a good thing. Curiosity inspires us to learn and if given the opportunity, I will most happily teach. Ignorance born of fear however, paralyzes the mind with preconceived notions. There are still plenty out there who, upon hearing the word, "Witch" immediately close their minds, lock the door and throw away the key.

Therein lies the danger. Refusing to learn fosters and perpetuates ignorance. People have occasionally criticized my choice to be so vocal about my beliefs. "Aren't you worried about how this will effect your children?", I've been asked. Well, it probably has effected my children much in the same way their religion has effects theirs, with the exception perhaps of a lot less guilt or fear of spending eternity in a much toastier climate. Oh, and they don't seem to be tortured in school quite as much. After all, one can't argue that a little well placed fear can be quite healthy as well!

And on that happy note, I will leave you with the following words of wisdom;

“Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.”
Marie Curie (French Physicist), twice winner of the Nobel Prize, 1867-1934)

In Darkness, Light


Tracy

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right to have had your say about this.

Carol said...

Very well written my sister.

Felicitas said...

Terrific post! Ignorant people are frustrating... particularly because most really don't care to know or understand anyone else's viewpoint. For the most part, I've given up trying to convince them. I'd rather just do my own thing without apology or explanation and let them gasp away.

Intuitive Goddess said...

You go girl!

Stella Seaspirit said...

I hear you! The worst is having scriptures quoted at you- like they have no brain power of their own to give them some substance.

Unknown said...

Excellent post and so very true. The amount of close minded and ignorant people never cease to amaze me!

Rant on Sister!

strangerland said...

Oh those toastier climates!

http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&id=100000076115243

Judith said...

you go girl!

She Who Works Her Will said...

I love you guys!!! Thank you so much for your encouragement and inspiration!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh shit Tracy......this just made me stick my finger down my throat to spit up some wee arms and legs...oops....guess I had it all backasswards.........

White Wolf said...

Some of us are also guardians and keepers of the earth, involved with activism (like Greenpeace).
We do our utmost to avoid pollution and try to educate the surroundings.
Never use plastic (bags, cups, etc.). We Compost in our gardens.
Keep in mind that all life is sacred and do our best to protect the creatures on this planet.
Are not afraid to raise our voices.
Because indifference is worst than ignorance.
One of the most activist traditions is Reclaiming of which I'm proud to be a part of.
So I'm reclaiming what has been lost over the ages.
Blessings.
Arie

She Who Works Her Will said...

Beautiful, Arie. Just beautiful!

Linnea said...

Tracy, I love this post. When asked to give a label to my belief system, I say that I am an atheist. The most common response (and I'm not making this up) is, "no you're not!", often spoken with horror. At that point, I sometimes feel as if I need to clarify a few things (most often I yawn and let it roll). There is nothing scary or threatening about my belief system, unlike some (hell immediately comes to mind). Nor does it mean that I don't believe in anything; to the contrary, I believe in many, many things. Love, for instance, and tolerance. What being an atheist does mean is that I don't subscribe to the viewpoint that there is one God, particularly not a god with a gender (male, in the case of Christians).
Perhaps most appalling, is the viewpoint that we should keep our viewpoints to ourselves (sort of like the military's don't ask/don't tell). If that's not evidence of how disenfranchised we are, I don't know what is. I for one refuse to be a closet atheist, nor do I think you should be compelled to keep your views to yourself.
BTW, I just paused to see if Christian should be capitalized (yes, it's a proper noun), and then for fun I checked on atheist as well (no, doesn't need to be capitalized). That's it in a nutshell. That's okay with me though, I've always been a bit unproper. Linnea

She Who Works Her Will said...

Hi Linnea!

What always bothers me is the term, "tolerance". Do we merely tolerate the differences of others? Is that really enough? That doesn't cut it for me. I prefer "acceptance". And that doesn't necessarily mean that I expect everyone to agree with my beliefs, but simply accept and respect that they are mine without judgement.

I see absolutely no problem with Atheism (notice I capitalized the word). People don't have to believe in a supreme Deity in order to be fulfilled. Love is one of the most powerful forces I've ever experienced and holds the ability to manifest more magick than one can ever imagine. It's also, in my humble opinion, the most feared, because it also requires an element of vulnerability. That said,if we were only granted one emotion in this life, it would be more than enough for me.

Blessings, Linnea!

Rick said...

Very well said! As a Spiritualist minister, I concur with your essay. Always nice to stumble across such a beautiful open mind. :)
Rick